After studying this chapter 7, the student should be able to:
1. Describe the three key elements of motivation.
2. Compare the early theories of motivation.
3. Contrast the elements of self-determination theory and goal-setting theory.
4. Demonstrate the differences between self-efficacy theory, reinforcement theory, equity theory, and expectancy theory.
5. Identify the implications of employee job engagement for managers.
6. Describe how the contemporary theories of motivation complement one another.
Chapter 8 – Motivation: From Concepts to Application
After studying this chapter, the student should be able to:
1. Describe how the job characteristics model (JCM) motivates by changing the work environment.
2. Compare the main ways that jobs can be redesigned.
3. Explain how specific alternative work arrangements can motivate employees.
4. Describe how employee involvement measures can motivate employees.
5. Demonstrate how the different types of variable-pay programs can increase employee motivation.
6. Show how flexible benefits turn benefits into motivators.
7. Identify the intrinsic motivational benefits of employee recognition programs.
*Be sure to follow the expectations set by our course syllabus for discussion posts and peer replies.*
1. What motivates you in life? Explain.
2. What motivates you at work? Explain. Is this the same motivations you have in life? Explain.
3. How do you motivate your peers in the class or in the work place? Or are you the peer that needs external motivation from others? Explain.
4. Do you agree or disagree with Dan Pink that traditional rewards are not always motivators? Explain.
5. If you could be rewarded in anyway as an employee – or if you could reward your employees in anyway – what reward do you feel would be the best motivator? Explain.
When reviewing your peers discussion posts and replying, include in your response if their reward discussed in Question 5 (“If you could be rewarded in anyway as an employee – or if you could reward your employees in anyway – what reward do you feel would be the best motivator?”) would motivate you as an employee.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more