Your assignment is to consider of the following statements/questions and write an essay around 8 – 10 pages. You are free to use whatever materials that you like, but I am much more interested in your own observations and analysis.
1. In attempting to define the field of public administration, several authors have commented that public administration has its origins in the Progressive era and the reform of government and/or society. The field, according to these authors, has never deviated from these roots. Explain how this statement is or is not true today.
2. The dichotomy between bureaucracy and democracy or politics and administration is one of the fundamental tensions in public administration. Discuss the underlying factors involved in this tension. Why, despite its undemocratic character, does bureaucracy remain central to governance?
3. In a 1947 speech Winston Churchill stated “it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.” Democracy means rule by the people, but the people are not experts. Public managers are the experts in their area of policy. Discuss how we can achieve democracy, efficiency, and effectiveness in government administration. What makes democracy ‘work’ within the context of current public administration?
4. A critical part of the role of public and nonprofit management is to get the best performance from the fewest resources, all while serving the public interest. Market-based strategies are among the tools available to achieve this. Explain in a City Council report how you would explore at least one market-based alternative to the current city employee-provided refuse system. What criteria would you propose the Council apply to review the current refuse service delivery system and the selection of the most beneficial service direction for the city?
5. “Leadership mobilizes, naked power coerces” (Burns, 1978). Using either a transformational or incremental approach to leadership, observe how public organizations can involve a blend of managing results, managing relationships, as well as managing in the public interest ethically.
6. The classical theories of organizations (i.e. Weber’s bureaucratic theory; Taylor’s scientific management) argued that there is “one best way” to structure organizations. Explain how organizational scholarship has evolved since these early approaches. What do we know at the beginning of the 21st century about how to best structure organizations?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more