Chapter 7 Telecommunications, the Internet, and Wireless Technology
1) Telephone networks are fundamentally different from computer networks. Answer: TRUE
2) Increasingly, voice, video, and data communications are all based on Internet technology. Answer: TRUE
3) To create a computer network, you must have at least two computers. Answer: TRUE
4) An NOS must reside on a dedicated server computer in order to manage a network. Answer: FALSE
5) A hub is a networking device that connects network components and is used to filter and forward data to specified destinations on the network. Answer: FALSE
6) In a client/server network, a network server provides every connected client with an address so it can be found by others on the network. Answer: TRUE
7) Central large mainframe computing has largely replaced client/server computing. Answer: FALSE
8) Circuit switching makes much more efficient use of the communications capacity of a network than does packet switching. Answer: FALSE
9) A protocol is a standard set of rules and procedures for the control of communications in a network. Answer: TRUE
10) Two computers using TCP/IP can communicate even if they are based on different hardware and software platforms. Answer: TRUE
11) In a ring topology, one station transmits signals, which travel in both directions along a single transmission segment. Answer: FALSE
12) Coaxial cable is similar to that used for cable television and consists of thickly insulated copper wire. Answer: TRUE
13) Fiber-optic cable is more expensive and harder to install than wire media. Answer: TRUE
14) The number of cycles per second that can be sent through any telecommunications medium is measured in kilobytes. Answer: FALSE
15) The Domain Name System (DNS) converts IP addresses to domain names. Answer: FALSE
16) VoIP technology delivers video information in digital form using packet switching. Answer: TRUE
17) Web 3. 0 is a collaborative effort to add a layer of meaning to the existing Web in order to reduce the amount of human involvement in searching for and processing Web information. Answer: TRUE
18) Wi-Fi enables users to freely roam from one hotspot to another even if the next hotspot is using different Wi-Fi network services. Answer: FALSE
19) WiMax has a wireless access range of up to 31 miles. Answer: TRUE
20) RFID has been exceptionally popular from the technology’s inception because of its low implementation costs. Answer: FALSE
21) The device that acts as a connection point between computers and can filter and forward data to a specified destination is called a(n)
22) The Internet is based on which three key technologies?
A) TCP/IP, HTML, and HTTP
B) TCP/IP, HTTP, and packet switching
C) client/server computing, packet switching, and the development of communications standards for linking networks and computers
D) client/server computing, packet switching, and HTTP
23) The method of slicing digital messages into parcels, transmitting them along different communication paths, and reassembling them at their destinations is called
B) packet switching.
C) packet routing.
24) The telephone system is an example of a ________ network.
25) Which of the following is not a characteristic of packet switching?
A) Packets travel independently of each other.
B) Packets are routed through many different paths.
C) Packet switching requires point-to-point circuits.
D) Packets include data for checking transmission errors.
26) In TCP/IP, IP is responsible for
A) disassembling and reassembling of packets during transmission.
B) establishing an Internet connection between two computers.
C) moving packets over the network.
D) sequencing the transfer of packets.
27) In a telecommunications network architecture, a protocol is
A) a device that handles the switching of voice and data in a local area network.
B) a standard set of rules and procedures for control of communications in a network.
C) a communications service for microcomputer users.
D) the main computer in a telecommunications network.
28) What are the four layers of the TCP/IP reference model?
A) physical, application, transport, and network interface
B) physical, application, Internet, and network interface
C) application, transport, Internet, and network interface
D) application, hardware, Internet, and network interface
29) Which signal types are represented by a continuous waveform?
30) To use the analog telephone system for sending digital data, you must also use
A) a modem.
B) a router.
D) twisted wire.
31) Which type of network is used to connect digital devices within a half-mile or 500-meter radius?
32) Which of the following Internet connection types offers the greatest bandwidth?
33) Which type of network would be most appropriate for a business that comprised three employees and a manager located in the same office space, whose primary need is to share documents?
A) wireless network in infrastructure mode
B) domain-based LAN
C) peer-to-peer network
D) campus area network
34) In a bus network
A) signals are broadcast to the next station.
B) signals are broadcast in both directions to the entire network.
C) multiple hubs are organized in a hierarchy.
D) messages pass from computer to computer in a loop.
35) All network components connect to a single hub in a ________ topology.
36) The most common Ethernet topology is
37) A network that ps a city, and sometimes its major suburbs as well, is called a
38) A network that covers broad geographical regions is most commonly referred to as a(n)
A) local area network.
C) peer-to-peer network.
D) wide area network.
39) ________ work by using radio waves to communicate with radio antennas placed within adjacent geographic areas.
A) Cell phones
40) Bandwidth is the
A) number of frequencies that can be broadcast through a medium.
B) number of cycles per second that can be sent through a medium.
C) difference between the highest and lowest frequencies that can be accommodated on a single channel.
D) total number of bytes that can be sent through a medium per second.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more