|7.1.11 Study: Explore Essay Writing: Argument|
This study sheet will help you to write a rough draft of the writing assignment that you will revise later on. Answer the following questions as you work through your study to build a strong and successful essay.
Write a letter to Edward Abbey that explains why one of his arguments in “The Damnation of a Canyon” is unconvincing.
Use the questions below for brainstorming and organizing your ideas.1. Which piece of Abbey’s rhetoric will you discuss in your letter? Name just one argument or fallacy that you want to criticize and help him correct.
2. Why isn’t this part of Abbey’s essay likely to convince his audience?
3. What could he do to fix it?
4. Brainstorm how to grab Abbey’s attention at the beginning. Try to come up with at least one possibility for each logical strategy.
5. Which attention grabber would most likely make Edward Abbey stop and listen? Why?
6. Write an introduction using your best attention-grabbing opening and the claim provided on the assignment sheet.
7. Write a paragraph explaining that Abbey’s words are ineffective for reaching his audience. Be sure to quote or paraphrase one specific example from his essay as you develop your paragraph.
8. Write a paragraph developing a suggestion for improving the work. Be sure to include an example, explain how it uses rhetoric, and tell Abbey why it is a better choice.
9. Write a conclusion that restates your main idea and encourages Abbey to put your ideas to use.
10. Combine your answers from questions 6 through 9 into a complete letter. Add detail if any paragraphs seem too short and insert transitions to make your ideas flow smoothly.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more