DUE IN 24 HOURS
Fields of Practice Research Paper
The field of practice paper is a research paper. Students will research a field and obtain factual data to support ideas throughout the paper. Students may use professional journal articles, books, websites, and the course text for information.
It is expected that you will complete the assessment fully and in a professional manner. This includes paragraph form, complete descriptions, and no abbreviations or contractions. The paper is to be written in third person as an objective research paper. Students are NOT to use first person, subjective pronouns, such as “I, We, or You.”
Students must use APA style formatting for this paper. Please reference either the APA manual or “Writing Reference and APA Style” information under Course Material on Blackboard.
This assignment will be submitted via SafeAssign on Blackboard. A student’s grade may be negatively affected by the SafeAssign percentage, which measures the amount of phrases and statements, in exact form, that are taken from another source (e.g., a previous paper by the student, another student’s paper, a reference source, etc.) Students who overuse direct quotations will also receive a grade reduction.
1) Paper length: minimum 6 full pages – maximum 8 full pages. Title page and Reference Page NOT included in page count.
2) In accordance with APA style, papers must be double spaced.
3) In accordance with APA style, papers must include a title page, an abstract (a summary of what you will discuss in the paper), the body of paper*, and a reference page.
*Please include the following bolded headings as the sections to include in the body of your paper.
· Introduction – gets the paper started by introducing the topic (e.g., some statistical information about the importance of the field or information about the magnitude of the problem).
· Definition of the Field of Practice – For example: What is child welfare? Or, what is geriatric social work? This includes a definition of the population with whom they work, such as children, teens, elderly, etc.
· Definition of Social Problem – as the social worker practicing in this field might address.
· Social Work Roles – when working with this population. Are they case managers, administrators, counselors, therapists, group therapists, etc? While working in these positions are they advocates, brokers, case managers, etc.? Please see course materials for more information about roles of social workers.
· Important Trends – What’s changing in this line of work? Are there many jobs, fewer jobs, more clients? Are the demographics of clients changing? Are there any new approaches in the field? Do other professions compete in this line of work?
· National Organizations – What organizations are there to help social workers who practice in this field increase their knowledge base or find support to work with the population?
· Conclusion – Summarize and add any suggestions/recommendations.
Grading Criteria and Rubric:
Evaluation of the paper will be based upon the following components:
1) Format (10 points)
2) Mechanics and structure ‐ proper use of correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation (30 points)
3) Clarity and relevance of responses (60 points)