Family and Gender Communication
As you will recall from Chapter 10 and the Changing Minds article on Genderlect (Links to an external site.), family and gender relationships often reflect a variety of elements that affect how communication is conducted. For this week’s assignment, you will take the opportunity to explore this by choosing from one of the two options below and preparing a two-page paper describing the impact of either family or gender on communication, as well as your own personal communication strengths and growth.
· Option 1: Family communication:
o Watch the video, The Power of Family: Types of Families and Family Development (Links to an external site.) and reflect on your own family.
o Describe how your family has influenced your communication style.
o Explain how that communication style could influence your strengths and opportunities as a human service professional.
· Option 2: Gender communication:
o Complete the Open Sex Role Inventory test (Links to an external site.) and reflect on the results.
o Describe your own gender beliefs based on the results of the inventory.
o Explain how the results of the inventory, your gender strengths, might influence your communication and practice in human services.
The Family and Gender Communication Assignment:
· Must be two double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
· Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
· Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
1. DeVito, J.A. (2016). The interpersonal communication book (14th ed.). Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
a. Chapter 10: Interpersonal Relationship Types (pp. 251-282)
1. Burrell, T. (2018). Don’t interru.. New Scientist Archive, 237(3168), 34. Retrieved from https://www.newscientist.com/issues/
o The full-text version of this article is available through Ashford University’s Proquest database. This article provides information about communication skills that will assist you in your assignment and discussions this week.
1. Rstafffordjr. (2012, April 26). Genderlect theory by Deborah Tannen [Video file]. Retrieved from
o This 4:42 minute YouTube video clip briefly describes Linguistics professor Deborah Tannen’s Genderlect theory and examples of its application
o This video will be used to support second discussion for this week.
2. Jennings, J. (Writer & Producer), & Vandiver, P. (Director). (2008). The power of family: Types of families and family development.
o This 26 minute video can be accessed through the Films On Demand database in the Ashford University Library.
o This video discusses the power of family by presenting information on the types of families and related family development and supports the assignment for this week.
1. Personality Tests: Open Sex Role Inventory (Links to an external site.) (http://personality-testing.info/tests/OSRI/)
o This website provides an interactive version of the Open Sex Role Inventory, a measure of masculinity and femininity modelled on the Bem Sex Role Inventory
o This website supports assignment Option 2 for this week.
2. Changing Minds. (n.d.). Genderlect (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from http://changingminds.org/explanations/gender/genderlect.htm
o This webpage provides a brief overview of Deborah Tannen’s concept of Genderlect, to be used in Discussion 2 for this week.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more