Part 1: Keyword “Exclusion” Instructions: (pp. 82-87) Answer the following questions. Provide a passage from the readings in addition to your interpretation to support your responses.
1. How did the US primarily enforce a culture of exclusion against Asian Americans? What was the “method” or “tool” they used?
c 2. How did exclusion shape Asian Americans’ experiences? What happened as a result of their exclusion?
Part 2: JACL “The Journey from Gold Mountain: The Asian American Experience” (pp. 1-14, stop right before “A Changing Nation”) Instructions: Answer the following questions. Provide a passage from the readings in addition to your interpretation to support your responses.
1. What types of work did 19th and early 20th century Asian Americans enter upon arriving in the US?
2. What did anti-Asian racism stem from? What were the fears of the US “nativists”?
3. As we’ve learned from “The Power of an Illusion,” the conversation on race in US is often limited to a “black-white binary.” That is to say, people in the US often talk about race as though it only involves black and white people. This was also the case in the 19th.
4. when Asian immigrants first started coming to the US. Based on both readings, how do Asian Americans “fit” into this racial binary? Are they categorically “black” or “white”?
Instructions: Select one of the following exclusion acts from US history and gather more information on it from the JACL reading. Write a short paragraph explaining the act and speculating its impact on US society.
1. Nationality Law of 1790
2. Page Law 1875
3. Chinese Exclusion Act 1882
4. California Anti-Miscegenation Law 1884
5. Gentlemen’s Agreement of 1907
6. California Alien Land Law 1913
7. Cable Act 1922-1931
8. National Origins Act 1924
9. Japanese Incarceration 1942-44
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more