Read Jason Foster’s article ” Solidarity on the TransCanada”.
Watch the NFB FILM “24 Day in Brook” https://www.nfb.ca/film/24_day_in_brooks.
The article and the film both deal with 2005 organizing drive and strike at Lakeside Packers in Brooks, Alberta.
Answer the following questions regarding the case in answers of 200-300 words each.
1. Why was the plant non-union and why did a series of organizing drives fail?
2. What were the workers biggest concerns that led to the union drive?
3. Why did the employer fight the union so fiercely and what does this tell us about their approach to labour relations?
4. What was different about the 2005 organizing drive? What made it successful?
5. Why did race become a factor in the organizing drive and strike?
6. What motivated some workers to cross the picket line and go to work during the strike?
7. What role did the state play in the dispute? Was it a constructive role? Why or why not?
8. What finally led to the resolution of the strike?
9. What does this case tell us about how the practice of labour relations differs from the process laid out in the text book (McQuarrie, Fiona A.E. (2015). Industrial Relations In Canada 4th ed. John Wiley & Sons Canada)?
10. In your own opinion, what could the parties (unions, employers and state) have done differently to prevent the strike.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more