Interactive Physiology Worksheet:
Endocrine System: The Hypothalamic–Pituitary Axis
1. The anterior pituitary is composed of _____________________ tissue. Name the six classic
hormones whose functions are well known.
2. TRH, GNRH, CRH, etc., are known as ________________________ hypothalamic hormones that
regulate the function of the ________________ pituitary. These hormones are released into
capillary beds and carried directly to the pituitary by the _________________ ______________
_______________, located in the _________________________.
3. ____________________ and ____________________, the posterior pituitary hormones, are
synthesized in the ________________ and ______________________ nuclei of the
hypothalamus. They are stored in the axon terminals located in the _______________ pituitary.
Similar to neurotransmitters, a/an ____________ ________________ in the neuron causes their
4. In negative feedback, the target hormone feeds back to alter the release of the anterior or
hypothalamic hormones, thus _______________________ its own release.
5. Give an example of a hormone that has negative feedback mainly to the anterior pituitary.
Give an example of a hormone that has negative feedback to both the anterior pituitary and the
ventral hypothalamus. ___________________________________________________________
6. Prolactin is unique in that the main ventral hypothalamic hormone regulating its secretion,
______________________________, inhibits its release. _______________________ (hormone)
increases prolactin release. Very high levels of this hormone during pregnancy actually block the
effect of prolactin on milk production.
Page 1 of 2 BIO1014 Anatomy and Physiology II Lab
© 2013 South University
7. _______________________ hormones are necessary for the release of ____________________
hormone. This is an example of modulation of a hormone by a target hormone of another series.
8. Suckling of an infant causes milk letdown by stimulating what hormone? ___________________
Changes in osmolarity detected by chemically sensitive neurons in the hypothalamus will alter
what hormone’s level? __________________________________
9. Cortisol release is synchronized by the light/dark cycle and has a 24-hour pattern of secretion
known as a ____________________________ rhythm. Levels are highest at what part of the
10. Besides controlling levels of T3 and T4, TSH also promotes ______________________ of the
thyroid gland. T3 and T4 are carried in the bloodstream bound to ______________ ___________
because they are ___________________________ .
11. T3 and T4 enter the target cells by _____________________ and bind to receptors located
_______________________________. T3 and T4 are synthesized from ________________ and
12. Which of the following would be symptoms of hypothyroidism, also known as
13. Lack of dietary iodine would cause _______________________ hypothyroidism and the patient
would probably get an iodine-deficient _________________________.
14. Graves’ disease is the most common cause of primary __________________________. The body
secretes ________________ _______________ _____________________, which mimics the
action of TSH and thus may cause a ______________________ as well as high levels of thyroid
Page 2 of 2 BIO1014 Anatomy and Physiology II Lab
© 2013 South University
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more