Choose four of the following questions and write a 150-350 word response to each question (points deducted for not meeting word count requirements). Include the question at the top of your response. Put all responses into one document – in other words don’t submit the assignment multiple times, once for each response. Remember – you MUST put information in your own words (this includes information from your text book and online sources) or it is considered plagiarism and you will receive a score of 1 on the assignment
SELECT FOUR below
1. Define iconography. Why was it used? What is its importance in medieval art? Give two specific examples of medieval iconography.
2. What are the three main characteristics of the Gothic cathedral? What were their functions? Name two Gothic cathedrals.
3. What changes in society and culture resulted from the rise of medieval towns?
4. Summarize the role and influence of the Roman Catholic Church in medieval life.
5. Name at least 3 characteristics of medieval art? Look at the Domenico di Michelino Dante and His Poem and the CimabueMadonna Enthroned.
6. Look on the internet and find several pictures from the Book of Kells. What is it? What type of genre does it represent? What non-Christian influences are apparent in the artwork?
7. What were the Crusades? Discuss the economic impact of the Crusades and pilgrimages.
8. What role did music play in the medieval culture – secular and religious? Provide at least 2 specific examples. How did medieval chant become the basis of the western music tradition?