This is very good practice for the “real world.” Many jobs now require RESUMES to be submitted electronically. So, here is an opportunity to do just that: submit your final resume here.
Be sure it looks exactly like you want it to look; the best way to ensure this is to submit a pdf file. Be sure there are ZERO writing errors; be sure your resume lists accomplishments not job responsibilities/duties; and be sure there are NO vague, meaningless, outdated phrases like “team-player” or “hard worker” – unless you also provide , detailed examples of these concepts. Finally, be sure your resume begins with a section that highlights you and your abilities – GET TO THE GOOD STUFF EARLY! -YOU ONLY HAVE A FEW SECONDS TO CAPTURE THE READER’S ATTENTION, RIGHT?
Once your resume passes all of these tests:
1. All necessary contact information at the TOP of the page – name, address, email, phone numbers, (social media if desired)
2. A SOLID BLACK LINE between the contact information and the rest of the resume, like this…
3.Your resume has a HIGHLIGHTS, SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS section at the top, designed to catch the reader’s attention right away. You only get a few seconds of reading time, so you must highlight your skills and qualifications immediately!
4. You list your EDUCATION next, including ONLY advanced/higher education (NO high schools)
5. You list your WORK EXPERIENCE/EMPLOYMENT HISTORY (DO NOT use only the word “EXPERIENCE” AS IT IS TOO VAGUE!) – Your work history does NOT focus on DUTIES OR RESPONSIBILITIES! Your resume instead lists your WORK ACCOMPLISHMENTS – informing the reader HOW WELL YOU DO/DID YOUR JOB! (THIS IS ONE OF THE KEYS TO CREATING A MODERN 21ST CENTURY RESUME.)
6. Your resume has ELIMINATED all VAGUE, MEANINGLESS, TIRED phrases like: team-player, dedicated, motivated, works well with others, fast learner, and computer efficient. Instead you have replaced these terms with clear specific EXAMPLES – like this: Volunteered to lead a team of employees in the annual food drive for the homeless. Served as the president of the company’s Employee/Management Discussion Group. <<<<see? THIS SHOWS YOU ARE A “TEAM PLAYER” because it has EXAMPLES!
7. Your resume can also have another section, if you have the space: PROFESSIONAL TRAINING, VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE, INTERNSHIPS, SPECIFIC SKILLS, LANGUAGES. You can add anything – as long as it will help you get a specific job!
8. Your resume DOES NOT LIST REFERENCES – OR ANY REFERENCE TO REFERENCES – i.e. – References Available on Request <<
9. You have a MASTERPIECE – PERFECT LOOK, ZERO WRITING ERRORS, A RESUME THAT HIGHLIGHTS YOU AND YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!!!
***Special Reminder = It is usually very obvious to me when students submit resumes without ever looking at the lecture notes, slides, and sample resumes. DO NOT be one of these students.