Research legislation that has occurred within the last 5 years at the state or federal level as a result of nurse advocacy. Describe the legislation and what was accomplished. What additional steps need to be taken to continue advocacy for this issue?
Nurses often become motivated to change aspects within the larger health care system based on their real-world experience. As such, many nurses take on an advocacy role to influence a change in regulations, policies, and laws that govern the larger health care system.
For this assignment, identify a problem or concern in your state, community, or organization that has the capacity for advocacy through legislation. Research the issue and use the “Advocacy Through Legislation” template to complete this assignment.
You are required to cite to a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursing practice.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
1. Problem, Those Affected, Current Ramifications, and Consequences if Problem Continues – A well-develop discussion of the problem, those affected, current ramifications, and consequences if the issue continues is presented. Strong and compelling rationale is provided. Insight into the problem and consequences is demonstrated. 15PTS
2. Idea for Addressing Solution – A logical and well-developed idea for addressing the issue is outlined. Why legislation is the best course for advocacy is thoroughly explained. Strong and compelling rationale is provided. 10PTS
3. Research Supporting Solution for Problem – Substantive evidence-based findings that support the idea for addressing the problem, including similar legislation in other states, are presented and demonstrate strong and compiling support for the idea. 15PTS
4. Stakeholder Support – All significant stakeholders in support of the proposed idea are presented and a well-supported explanation of why they are in support of the idea are provided. 10PTS
5. Stakeholder Opposition – All significant stakeholders in opposition to the proposed idea are presented. A well-supported explanation for why they are opposed to the idea and strategies for debating or conversing with opposing stakeholders is presented. 10PTS
6. Financial Incentives and Costs – The financial impact for the issue and idea is clearly summarized. Strong rationale and support for claims is provided. 10PTS
7. Legislature Process and Information for Proposal – Legislative information needed and process to advocate for proposal are clearly and logically presented. The legislative process is clearly understood and insight into legislative advocacy is demonstrated. 10PTS
8. Christian Principles and Nursing Advocacy – A well-developed discussion of how Christian principles support unbiased advocacy for health care legislation is presented. The discussion demonstrates an ability to act impartially and in the interest of promoting inclusive patient care without regard to gender, sexual orientation, culture, race, religion, or belief. 10PTS
9. Research – Research is supportive of the rationale presented. Sources are distinctive. Addresses all of the issues stated in the assignment criteria. 5PTS
10. Mechanics of Writing (includes spelling, punctuation, grammar, and language use) – The writer is clearly in command of standard, written, academic English. 2PTS
11. Documentation of Sources (citations, footnotes, references, bibliography, etc., as appropriate to assignment and style) – Sources are completely and correctly documented, as appropriate to assignment and style, and format is free of error. 3PTS